Our Transcription Principles
- We normalized the stylization of the Montreal Standard.
e.g. minor formatting features like capitalized first words of paragraphs.
- We preserved the transcription of the original title.
e.g. the quotation marks around “I Don’t Cry Any More.”
- We inserted the bylines into our transcription unless they were directly part of the sentence or paragraph.
- We transcribed the original article as accurately as possible.
- We corrected misspelled words and minor typos based on the transcriber’s discretion.
- When the text was indecipherable, we conferred with each other and decided on the best transcription possible.
- We indicated with square brackets that which couldn’t be transcribed or was unreadable.
Our Annotation Principles
- We used a wide array of WordPress post formats for our annotations in order to make them multimodal.
- We annotated the articles with a view to contextualizing them, drawing out memorable quotations, remediating them, and establishing their relevance to Gallant’s writing and career.